To enroll in a program at Davis Technical College program, students must meet designated College Admissions Requirements.
Davis Tech uses the TABE (Test for Adult Basic Education) assessments, which evaluate skill levels and the aptitudes needed to be successful in each program.
Admissions Assessment Requirements
Depending on the program, you may be required to test for Math (Computation and Applied), Reading, Language, or Spelling (high school level). In addition, some programs include Computer Skills Assessments or Typing.
- Math: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, and decimals.
- Reading: vocabulary and comprehension.
- Language: spelling, punctuation, grammar, sentence and paragraph structure, etc.
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office 2013 (operating systems and e-mail, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Typing: minimum 30 wpm.
External Documentation (Test Waive)
Program admission requirements may be met by providing transcripts of prior academic learning such as college or high school. Page 2 of the College Admissions Requirements document details accepted documentation.
Admissions Assessments are covered by the Davis Tech Enrollment Fee. There is a $5.00 re-test fee if you need to re-take any of the tests.
Test Preparation/Useful Websites
There are many free online websites, guides, resources and practice tests to help you help you successfully prepare for your assessments. YouTube is also a great resource for instructional “how to” videos. Some are listed below or you could simply search on Google for: TABE 9D (Math, Reading, Spelling) practice tests or Computation Math, Applied Math, etc.
- Below are some guides and suggested website links:
- Reading, Writing, Spelling
- IXL Language Arts
- Computer Literacy
- Search for "tutorials in Microsoft Office Windows 2016” for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and "SIMnet Microsoft Office 2013 - E-mail and Operating Systems.”
- When you are ready to test
- After some studying, come into the Assessment Center (located in Student Services), to take the Admissions tests during our regular assessment hours. Pre-scheduling for Admissions testing or re-testing is not required.