Medical Office Administration
School of Business & IT
School of Construction
School of Health Professions
School of Manufacturing
School of Service Professions
School of Transportation
Request a Tour!
The Medical Office Administration program provides students with the technical skills and knowledge for an entry-level position in a health care setting through competency-based education. Students will choose to specialize as dental office specialists, medical office specialists, medical billing and coding specialists, or dental billing and coding specialists.
All students in the Medical Office Administration program will learn medical/dental terminology, laws and ethics, basic dental or medical billing and coding systems, medical coding software (EnCoder Pro), business systems and software programs, front office tasks, patient intake/registration and the fundamental components and functions Electronic Health Record (EHR). Students will develop administrative office skills, receive hands-on experience using Dentrix or a Medical EHR system to schedule, manage patient accounts, and enter patient documentation. The program will prepare students to work as entry-level/front-line administrative assistants in a medical or dental office, clinic, or hospital. Health information technology specialists train in business, healthcare and information technology. Organizations ranging from private practices to large healthcare providers rely on these individuals to manage information vital to caregiving operations.
In addition, medical billing and coding specialists and the dental billing and coding specialists will learn how to code diagnoses and procedures performed or identified by a physician/dentist. Students will also learn how to process health insurance claims, examine coverage issues, and processes for billing and collections. Medical billing and coding specialists will prepare to take the National Certified Professional Coding (CPC) examination through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
Adult College Admission Fee
Annual High School Student Fee
Student Tuition and Fees
High school students are exempt from Student Tuition and Fees
Estimated Books and Materials *
While high school students are not required to purchase textbooks, they are required to purchase personal and consumable learning resources and materials
Certificate Processing Fee
Paid upon program completion
* NOTE: Textbook and material costs are based on Davis Tech’s bookstore prices at the time of publication and are subject to change. There are no charges associated with personal data collection and processes or verification of student identity.
- Program Length
- 975 hours (11 months)
- Main Campus
- Open Enrollment
|8am - 11am||Mo||Tu||We||Th||Fr||—|
|12pm - 3pm||Mo||Tu||We||Th||Fr||—|
|NOTE: High school students may request a schedule that coincides with the high school morning bell schedule by notifying Student Services.|
- Davis Technical College Credentials
- Industry Certifications
- The Davis Tech Medical Office Administration program provides students with the necessary skills to begin employment in their selected field. Students who complete their program will be prepared to take the tests for the following certifications:
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Professional Coder Apprentice (CPC)
- MOS: Microsoft Office Access 2016 (Exam 77-730)
- Utah State Board of Education CTE Skill Certificate (High School Students Only)
- Placement Rates
NOTE: Placement data is represented as reported to the Council on Occupational Education in the most recent annual report.
- Utah Job Outlook and Work Requirements
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Verify you meet program Admissions Requirements
- Complete the Davis Tech Admissions Application and New Student Orientation
- Pay the $45.00 fee to the cashier in Student Services
- Take the admissions assessment in the Davis Tech Assessment Center in Student Services
- Meet with an Enrollment Technician in Student Services
- Begin class